Thursday, July 30, 2009

Have I told you yet...?

We received our first draft of our home study yesterday; I can't tell you how excited we are! Later in the evening, I was overcome with thoughts about what a wonderful summer I've had, especially with Alex. We haven't done any traveling or vacationing; we simply have been hanging out at the house, going to the pool, and hanging with friends. It's been awesome.
My beautiful, crazy, head strong daughter is growing into this young lady who has pensive conversations with me, negotiates whether she's going to dance through situations or charge like a bull; she is learning sensitivity and how to nurture. I love her so much. I have loved making her bologna and salami sandwiches (her new favorite), listening to her read books with inflection, nagging her to clean up her messes, and see her glow with pride as she rides her two wheel bike. I am so blessed to have this time to hang out with her. I am appreciating it more than I ever have in year's past.
Alex and I usually go to bed at the same time, so we've recently grown into the habit of reading together in my bed and then falling asleep together. It's probably not the greatest idea, but I don't care! She will fall asleep next to me, while I'm devouring a book. Within a half an hour of her dozing, she's more than likely to be pressed up against me like a panini with her harms draped across me. Then, she will begin talking in her sleep; this is my favorite part. Sometimes she's yelling at someone (more like bossing them around) or trying to convince someone of something, but it is absolutely hysterical. I'm usually giggling in bed. Then, as I hear Steve coming up (he's a night owl), I'll coax her out of our bed. She likes to think that you're going to pick her up, but I think she has inherently realized that she's too tall for me. So, she'll put her hands on my shoulders, stand up, and let me guide her to her room and tuck her in bed. I love this routine. I don't know why. I just do.
So, I just wanted to take the time to let you all know how awesome our Alex is. She's beautiful, witty (like her daddy), and courageous. Thank you, God for this amazing little girl. Thank you for the challenges and the celebrations. Thank you for the moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment